Did you know that mindfulness helps us to distance ourselves from negative thoughts, reactions and sensations? Try these 7 simple activities to encourage mindfulness.
- Focus on the sensation of your breath going in and out of your body.
- Look with focus at interesting objects, such as crystals and materials found in nature – great for using all of the senses.
- Use food and drink – take an item of food or drink and focus on it using all of your senses. What does it look like? What does it feel like in your hands? What about if you place it on your tongue? Or put it in your mouth and just leave it there? How does it change?
- Listen to music (eyes closed to enhance concentration). What different sounds can you hear? What does it make you think of? How does it make you feel?
- Walk! Instead of just walking to get somewhere, just go for a walk and focus on what you can see, hear, smell and feel. How each step feels and the sounds they make.
- Pay close attention to all of the sensations you experience when carrying out a simple task such as making a cup of tea.
- Stand still and look for 5 things that you can see, 4 things you can touch, 3 sounds you can hear, 2 things you can smell and 1 thing you can taste.
By helping us to observe our own feelings and being present in the moment, mindfulness increases awareness, clarity and acceptance of our present-moment reality.
If you would like to know more about mindfulness and achieving clarity, get in touch.